(1) Improving your mathematical ‘edge’ by always picking the best odds available:
Every serious football bettor should have several bookmaker accounts at his disposal in order to pick and choose the best available prices. Having invested so much time and effort in producing a match selection system which brings consistent profits, it would be churlish not to spend just a little more time seeking out the best possible reward.
At Soccerwidow we are great advocates of the much maligned bookmakers, which have seemingly had their gloss taken away from them by the trendier and seemingly more flexible betting exchanges. But of course, there is a price to pay for the convenience of using exchanges, and the more successful your system becomes, the more commission you may be liable to pay to these trading platforms.
(2) Getting the most from 1X2 markets:
Let’s have a look at Betfair’s main attraction to bettors: the opportunity to lay an event.
Using bookmaker markets there are three alternatives available to gain a financial advantage over Betfair’s home, draw or away lay prices: Asian Handicap +0.5; Double Chance; “Dutch” Back (click to enlarge; opens in a new tab):
Here, you can see a few more red figures in the right-hand columns than we saw in the back bet comparison article, but still, 21 out of 27 (77.8%) Betfair lay prices were beatable during this round of matches.
However the extent of advantage the bookmakers have competing with lay options is far smaller than backing; purely because when laying an event two results are effectively ‘backed’ rather than just one when backing outright:
- 11.03% bookmaker advantage laying the draw in the Augsburg vs. Hamburg match was only worth 0.40 units more than Betfair’s return with a fixed liability/stake of 10 units.
- 11.62% bookmaker advantage laying the draw in the Mainz vs. Hoffenheim match was worth the same 0.40 unit advantage.
- 9.47% bookmaker advantage laying Bayer Leverkusen away at Bayern Munich was worth just 0.07 extra units than with Betfair.
In conjunction with the table above, the following table shows the best alternative options to laying each event in Betfair during this round of matches (click to enlarge; opens in a new tab):